Welcome to my recipe collection.

These recipes offer a delicious mix of new and old world flavors. From the kitchens of my mother and grandmother in Transylvania to the new fusion mixes from my home kitchen in Canada. I have been inspired by the fickle tastes of my children ( vegetarian, pescatarian or whichever way the wind may blow) and my desire to become healthier without compromising taste. I hope you enjoy reading this as much as I have enjoyed writing it. Leave me comments and your favorite recipes!

Sunday, April 10, 2011

DUCKLING A L'ORANGE



My grandmother was making the best duck dishes. I still feel the anticipation I had every time we went to visit her. I loved to eat the perfectly cooked meat with sweet egg bread.  We do not eat very often duck.  Most of the time when I make it, the meat is dry.  Finally I found and made this recipe and, instant success.  It was tasty, moist, with a subtle orange taste. For side dish I made boiled potatoes and steamed green beans.     

1 41/2 - 5 lb duck
1 tsp salt
2 unpeeled oranges, quartered
1 clove garlic or 1/8 tsp minced garlic
3 peppercorns
3 - 4 tbsp orange marmalade

Orange sauce:
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp cornstarch
1 tbsp grated orange peel
2/3 cup orange juice
3 tbsp duck drippings
3 tbsp Curacao, Cointreau or Grand Marnier

Wash and drain duck, place oranges, garlic, salt and peppercorns in cavity.
Sprinkle skin with flavored salt or garlic salt and place in 325 F  (150 C) oven for 2 1/2 - 3 hours.
Spread orange marmalade on skin of duck 10-15 minutes before cooking is completed. Quarter duck and serve with orange slices.

Combine brown sugar, cornstarch, orange peel, orange juice and duck drippings.
Cook uncovered 3 minutes or until it boils and thickens.
Stir in liqueur. Serve sauce warm on top of duck or in serving bowl on dinner table.

1 comment:

Hajni said...

Do you have any photos?