Welcome to my recipe collection.

These recipes offer a delicious mix of new and old world flavors. From the kitchens of my mother and grandmother in Transylvania to the new fusion mixes from my home kitchen in Canada. I have been inspired by the fickle tastes of my children ( vegetarian, pescatarian or whichever way the wind may blow) and my desire to become healthier without compromising taste. I hope you enjoy reading this as much as I have enjoyed writing it. Leave me comments and your favorite recipes!

Saturday, April 16, 2011

EASTER HOT CROSS BUNS

I am always on lookout for recipes with yeast where the dough can be made in the bread machine. I was glad when I saw this and decided to make it for sweet bread.  It came out very good, definitely I will make it again.

1 cup milk
1 egg
1/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup butter or margarine (use the block margarine, not the soft tub margarine)
1 1/4 tsp salt
3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. cloves
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
1 1/4 tsp. bread machine yeast
1/2 cup raisins
1/4 cup mixed candied peel (finely chopped if it's not already in small pieces)

Egg wash:
1 egg yolk beaten with 1 tbsp. cold water until thoroughly blended

Place the milk, egg, sugar, butter, salt and flour in the pan of the bread machine. Put the spices and yeast in opposite corner of the pan.  Cinnamon should be kept away from the yeast as it can affect the rising action. I have an 11 years old bread machine. To avoid the contact between the yeast and spices, I put the spices in when I take out the dough from the machine.  Start the bread machine using the Dough cycle. When the signalsounds to add ingredients, add the candied peel and raisins.
If you have one of the newer machines that automatically adds extras, measure just the raisins into the Extras section. Add the candied peel directly to the flour and stir just enough to dust it with flour.

When the Dough cycle has finished, turn the dough out on a lightly-floured surface. Divide it into 12 equal pieces as follows. With a sharp knife, cut the dough in half. Shape each half into a log 8" - 10" long. Here I stop and place the two logs on the baking sheet for two sweet bread.  Cut each log in half, then cut each of those portions into 3 equal pieces. Shape each piece into a ball, and place it on a greased baking sheet. Using your fingers, flatten each ball to about 1" thick.
Cover with a damp tea towel, and set in a warm place to rise until the buns have doubled in size (40-60 minutes). Whit a sharp knife, cut a cross in the top of each bun, and brush with egg wash.

Bake at 375 F for 14-16 minutes until golden brown. Whit an egg flipper or spatula, lift one bun to check that the bottom is lightly browned. If it isn't, cover the buns with foil to prevent over-browning, and bake them 1-2 minutes longer. When done, cool on a wire rack. Make 12 buns or 1 big or 2 smaller sweet bread.

I used the dough to make sweet bread and it turned out very compact and  heavy.  I didn't like it. I amsure is better as hot cross bun.

No comments: