Welcome to my recipe collection.

These recipes offer a delicious mix of new and old world flavors. From the kitchens of my mother and grandmother in Transylvania to the new fusion mixes from my home kitchen in Canada. I have been inspired by the fickle tastes of my children ( vegetarian, pescatarian or whichever way the wind may blow) and my desire to become healthier without compromising taste. I hope you enjoy reading this as much as I have enjoyed writing it. Leave me comments and your favorite recipes!

Monday, March 12, 2012

GAZPACHO SALAD

If you like this classic Spanish cold soup, now you can enjoy its flavours in a refreshing and healthy salad. 
Serves four. 

2 cups (500ml) cubed (3/4 inch; 2 cm) day old rustic bread
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 tbsp (45 ml)extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp (30 ml) sherry vinegar or red vine vinegar
1/2 tsp (2ml) salt
pinch each pepper and crumbled dry rosemary
3 medium greenhouse tomatoes
half a cucumber, chopped
3 green onions, sliced

Arrange bread cubes in single layer on rimmed baking sheet. Bake in 350F (180C) oven for eight to 10 minutes or until golden brown, turning once.
Cool.
Combine garlic, oil, vinegar, salt, pepper and rosemary.
Cut tomatoes in half crosswise and gently squeeze  out seeds; cut into 3/4 inch (2 cm) pieces. Place in large bowl; add cucumber, yellow pepper, green onions and croutons. Pour dressing over top; toss well but gently. Let stand five minutes to soften croutons.

No comments: