Welcome to my recipe collection.

These recipes offer a delicious mix of new and old world flavors. From the kitchens of my mother and grandmother in Transylvania to the new fusion mixes from my home kitchen in Canada. I have been inspired by the fickle tastes of my children ( vegetarian, pescatarian or whichever way the wind may blow) and my desire to become healthier without compromising taste. I hope you enjoy reading this as much as I have enjoyed writing it. Leave me comments and your favorite recipes!

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

BUTTERMILK BERRY MUFFINS


I received this recipe in my email. It is from 101 Cookbooks.  The muffins look very appetizing on the pictures.  As soon as my oven is repaired I will try it. My oven broke down Thursday. I was at the moment of placing the baking sheet with "lussekatt" (Swedish wheat buns) in the oven and it wouldn't turn on. I am lucky, I have nice neighbours and I was able to do the baking. 

I used frozen huckleberries here, but you can substitute blueberries, mixed berries, toasted seeds, dried fruit, etc, etc. I make cinnamon sugar for topping. heidi@heidiswanson.com
1 1/4 cups / 5 1/2 oz / 160 g whole wheat pastry flour
2 1/4 cups / 10 1/2 oz / 295 g unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 cup / 3 1/2 oz / 100 g firmly packed brown sugar
3/4 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
5 1/2 oz mashed, ripe banana (~2 med.)
240 ml buttermilk
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup / 4 oz / 115 g unsalted butter, barely melted
1 cup / 4.5 oz / 125 g berries, plus more for topping
rose cinnamon sugar*
Preheat the oven to 400F / 205C, with a rack in the center. Line a muffin tin with papers. I used baking cups here, with those you can skip the tin.
In a large bowl, combine the flours, sugar, salt, baking soda, and baking powder.
In another bowl combine the banana, buttermilk, eggs, vanilla, and butter. Stir until blended and uniform.
Gently stir the berries into the dry ingredients. Pour the wet ingredients over dry, and mix until just combined. For tender muffins, do your best to avoid over-blending.
Fill the muffin tins 2/3 full (maybe a bit more than that), sprinkle with more berries and a generous dusting of cinnamon rose sugar.
Bake for 30-40 minutes, until golden-topped, and a tester comes out clean.
Makes 8-12 muffins.
*Make rose cinnamon sugar by combining 3 tablespoons sugar, 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, and 1 teaspoon crushed, dried rose petals.
Prep time: 10 min - Cook time: 30 min

No comments: