Welcome to my recipe collection.

These recipes offer a delicious mix of new and old world flavors. From the kitchens of my mother and grandmother in Transylvania to the new fusion mixes from my home kitchen in Canada. I have been inspired by the fickle tastes of my children ( vegetarian, pescatarian or whichever way the wind may blow) and my desire to become healthier without compromising taste. I hope you enjoy reading this as much as I have enjoyed writing it. Leave me comments and your favorite recipes!

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

HEARTY HERBAL BEANS


Herbs add culinary excitement to any type of bean, such as pinto, black, kidney and garbanzo. Serve warm as a hearty side dish. For a quick, delicious lunch, serve over whole grains, such as brown basmati rice. Top with chopped tomatoes and herb-laced Greek yogurt (see Page 36). SERVES 2 to 4

• 2 cups cooked beans (canned are fine)
• 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
• 1 teaspoon canola or vegetable oil
• 1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
• 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
• 1⁄4 teaspoon ground turmeric
• 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
• 1⁄4 teaspoon ground coriander
• 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1 whole bay leaf
• 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (optional)
• Pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
• 1 cup water (or low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth)

1. Rinse and drain beans; set aside.

2. Sauté onion in hot oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat 3 to 4 minutes or until tender; add garlic and cook 1 additional minute.

3. Stir in ginger and remaining ingredients. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring frequently.



Letitia L. Star is a healthy living writer who frequently writes about cooking and growing herbs.  

No comments: