Welcome to my recipe collection.

These recipes offer a delicious mix of new and old world flavors. From the kitchens of my mother and grandmother in Transylvania to the new fusion mixes from my home kitchen in Canada. I have been inspired by the fickle tastes of my children ( vegetarian, pescatarian or whichever way the wind may blow) and my desire to become healthier without compromising taste. I hope you enjoy reading this as much as I have enjoyed writing it. Leave me comments and your favorite recipes!

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

DELICIOUS DATE SQUARES

I always wanted to try making date squares but I was worried, ..what if it will not come out right. )-:
However after buying almost 2 kg of dried dates I had to do something.  So I tried and the result is .....fantastic.  Definitely I have to buy more dates  (-:  


500 ml     2 cups          chopped dates
375 ml     1 1/2 cups    water
 15 ml      1 tbsp          lemon juice
175 ml     3/4 cup        whole wheat four
125 ml     1/2 cup        all purpose flour
175 ml     3/4 cup       Kellog's All-Bran or Bran Buds cereals
125 ml     1/2 cup        rolled oats
2 ml         1/2 tsp         baking soda
2 ml          1/2 tsp        salt
175 ml      3/4 cup       butter
250 ml      1 cup          brown sugar

In a saucepan combine dates, water and lemon juice; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer gently, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens, about 15 minutes. Set aside.
Combine whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, Kellogg's All-Bran or Bran Buds cereal, oats, soda and salt. Set aside.
Cream together butter and sugar. Stir in flour and Bran mixture.
Press 2/3 of this crust mixture into the bottom of a greased 2.5 L ( 9") square baking pan. Spread date filling on top and sprinkle with remaining crust mixture.
Bake in preheated oven at 200 C  (400 F) for 25-30 minutes or until lightly browned.

2 comments:

Hajni said...

Do you know the nutrition content?

KETU said...

miam miam