Welcome to my recipe collection.

These recipes offer a delicious mix of new and old world flavors. From the kitchens of my mother and grandmother in Transylvania to the new fusion mixes from my home kitchen in Canada. I have been inspired by the fickle tastes of my children ( vegetarian, pescatarian or whichever way the wind may blow) and my desire to become healthier without compromising taste. I hope you enjoy reading this as much as I have enjoyed writing it. Leave me comments and your favorite recipes!

Monday, May 16, 2011

GRILLED SALMON WITH CHERRY TOMATO, CHARRED CORN AND BASIL RELISH

My husband showed me this recipe in the latest Air Miles magazine. I used trout instead of salmon and I boiled the corn instead of grilling. We had a light, very tasty supper. Definitely I will make it again; maybe I will try with other type of fish.    




4 ears shucked corn
olive oil cooking spray
1/4 tsp kosher salt, divided
3/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper, divided
1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
3 tbsp thinly sliced fresh basil, plus whole basil springs for garnish (optional)
4 (4 ounce) salmon filletssalt and 1/4 teaspoon

1.  Prepare grill
2. Soak corn in a large bowl of cold water for 20 minutes. Remove and pat dry. Coat corn on all sides with cooking spray, and season with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Grill about 15 minutes or until charred on all sides. Remove cobs from grill, and cool slightly. Slice the kernels from the cob and transfer to a medium bowl. Add tomatoes, olive oil, vinegar and sliced basil, season with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Let the relish sit at room temperature for 15 minutes before serving.
3. Meanwhile, lightly coat both sides of salmon fillets with cooking spray; season with remaining 1/4 teaspoon teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Place fillets skin side down, and grill 3-4 minutes or until golden brown. Flip fillets and grill for 3 more minutes. Fish should feel slightly firm in the centre and will register 145F on an instant read thermometer. Place salmon onto each of 4 plates, and spoon relish over, then finish with basil springs if desired.

No comments: