Welcome to my recipe collection.

These recipes offer a delicious mix of new and old world flavors. From the kitchens of my mother and grandmother in Transylvania to the new fusion mixes from my home kitchen in Canada. I have been inspired by the fickle tastes of my children ( vegetarian, pescatarian or whichever way the wind may blow) and my desire to become healthier without compromising taste. I hope you enjoy reading this as much as I have enjoyed writing it. Leave me comments and your favorite recipes!

Monday, December 30, 2013

DATE CAKE

SERVES 12

• 1/3 cup mashed bananas
• 1/2 cup butter, softened
• 3 large eggs
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1 1/4 cups water
• 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1 1/2 cups chopped dates
• Toppings:
    1/3 cup chopped dates
    1/3 cup chopped walnuts
    1/3 cup flaked coconut

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Grease and flour a 9- by 13- by 2-inch baking pan.

3. Mix together mashed bananas and butter until creamy. Add eggs, vanilla and water; beat.  Add flour, baking soda, and baking powder; mix well. Stir in chopped dates.

4. Spoon batter into prepared baking pan. Combine topping ingredients and sprinkle over batter.  Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.

Gina Mohammed, Ph.D., is a plant physiologist who researches medicinal and other specialty uses of plants. E-mail editor@herbcompanion.com or write to 1503 SW 42nd St., Topeka, KS 66609 for a detailed reference list.
Click here for the main article,  Make Holiday Desserts Without Refined Sugars .

No comments: