Welcome to my recipe collection.

These recipes offer a delicious mix of new and old world flavors. From the kitchens of my mother and grandmother in Transylvania to the new fusion mixes from my home kitchen in Canada. I have been inspired by the fickle tastes of my children ( vegetarian, pescatarian or whichever way the wind may blow) and my desire to become healthier without compromising taste. I hope you enjoy reading this as much as I have enjoyed writing it. Leave me comments and your favorite recipes!

Friday, November 02, 2012

GARLIC-SAUTEED RAPINI

This recipe is from Canadian Living magazine. This is the first time I am making rapini. I know is very healthy, however we will see after eating it that is a recipe to stay or a "never-make-again".


Nutritional Info

Per each of 8 servings: about-
cal63
pro2 g
total fat5 g
sat. fat1 g
carb3 g
fibre2 g
chol0 mg
sodium97 mg
% RDI:-
calcium8
iron11
vit A18
vit C18
folate21
  • Portion size: 6 to 8
Assertive yet pleasant, rapini looks like thin broccoli with clusters of buds. When cooked and then tossed with garlic, it becomes a truly flavourful dish. You can add more hot pepper flakes to taste.

Ingredients

  • 1-1/2 bunches rapini, (about 1-1/2 lb/750 g)
  • 3 tbsp (45 mL) extra virgin olive oil
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
  • 1/4 tsp (1 mL) hot pepper flakes

Preparation

Trim bases of rapini stalks. In large deep skillet of boiling water, cover and cook rapini until stalks are tender, about 2 minutes. Drain and chill in ice water; squeeze and pat dry. Chop coarsely; set aside. (Make-ahead: Refrigerate rapini in airtight container for up to 24 hours.)

In same skillet, heat oil over medium heat; cook garlic, salt and hot pepper flakes until garlic begins to brown, about 2 minutes. Add rapini; cook, stirring, until hot.
Source : Canadian Living Magazine: September 2008

    No comments: