Welcome to my recipe collection.

These recipes offer a delicious mix of new and old world flavors. From the kitchens of my mother and grandmother in Transylvania to the new fusion mixes from my home kitchen in Canada. I have been inspired by the fickle tastes of my children ( vegetarian, pescatarian or whichever way the wind may blow) and my desire to become healthier without compromising taste. I hope you enjoy reading this as much as I have enjoyed writing it. Leave me comments and your favorite recipes!

Friday, November 09, 2012

MILK PIE FROM HUNGARY

Tejes pite. If you like palacsinta (Hungarian pancakes, crepes), you'll love this pie.


Ingredients for about 4 servings:
1 liter milk
250 g flour
100 g sugar
10 g vanilla sugar
1 teaspoon salt
3 eggs
Butter or margarine to grease baking pan
Apricot jam, confectioner sugar for decoration

Preparation time: 15 minutes + 60 minutes baking time

Difficulty: ☺

Preparation: Heat oven to 280 °C.

In a large bowl, mix flour, salt, sugar and vanilla sugar. In a small bowl combine well beaten eggs and milk. Add egg and milk gradually to flour mixture, beating to a smooth pancake-like batter, just a bit thicker. Coat the bottom of the baking pan with margarine or butter and pour the dough into it. Bake it for 1 hour, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

When the pie is done, cool for a few minutes, then cut into 8-10 bars. Sprinkle with confectioner sugar and add a spoonful of apricot jam or/and bottled apricot.


Hint:
Use hand mixer to get smooth batter.
Do not add baking powder or baking soda.
Do not make a thick pie, because the dough will remain raw inside.
To create a more provocative flavor, add 1-2 teaspoon apricot-brandy to the apricot jam.

Enjoy!

No comments: