Welcome to my recipe collection.

These recipes offer a delicious mix of new and old world flavors. From the kitchens of my mother and grandmother in Transylvania to the new fusion mixes from my home kitchen in Canada. I have been inspired by the fickle tastes of my children ( vegetarian, pescatarian or whichever way the wind may blow) and my desire to become healthier without compromising taste. I hope you enjoy reading this as much as I have enjoyed writing it. Leave me comments and your favorite recipes!

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

ITALIAN WEDDING SOUP


Serves 6-8
Soup ingredients:
2/3C carrots, sliced
2/3C celery, chopped
3/4C onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground pepper
1 pkg onion soup mix
7 1/2C chicken broth
6oz baby spinach, chopped
1 1/2C pasta
Meatball ingredients:* (see note)
1lb ground chicken
1/4C Parmesan cheese
1/2C seasoned breadcrumbs
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground pepper
1/2 – 1 tsp red pepper flakes* (see note)
1 egg
Add prepared vegetables, seasonings, onion soup mix and chicken broth to the slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours.
Meanwhile, prepare meatballs. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Combine all ingredients, shaping small meatballs. (See this post for size reference). Place meatballs 1 inch apart. Bake for 10-15 minutes. Set aside.
Add meatballs to slow cooker in the last hour of cooking. When 30 minutes remain, add chopped baby spinach and pasta. Gently stir and replace cover.
Divide among bowls and enjoy.

No comments: