Welcome to my recipe collection.

These recipes offer a delicious mix of new and old world flavors. From the kitchens of my mother and grandmother in Transylvania to the new fusion mixes from my home kitchen in Canada. I have been inspired by the fickle tastes of my children ( vegetarian, pescatarian or whichever way the wind may blow) and my desire to become healthier without compromising taste. I hope you enjoy reading this as much as I have enjoyed writing it. Leave me comments and your favorite recipes!

Wednesday, January 01, 2014

BLUEBERRY CORNMEAL CAKES


(makes 10-12 cakes)
2 cups white spelt flour (can use whole grain spelt, but will be a bit heavier)
1 cup cornmeal (medium grain)
1/2 cup fine oatbran
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup sucanat or brown sugar
1/2 cup olive oil
2/3 cup tea (or warm water)
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp orange zest (optional)
3/4 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
  1. Preheat your oven to 350, and line a muffin pan with liners or use a bit of oil; these can also be baked on a cookie sheet for flatter ‘cakes.’
  2. In a large bowl mix the spelt, cornmeal, oatbran, baking powder, salt and sucanat together and combine gently.
  3. In another small bowl, mix together the olive oil, water/tea, and zest, then set aside.
  4. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the oil/water mixture and stir just a few strokes.
  5. Add the thawed (or totally frozen, if you happen to forget) blueberries into the mix and stir until wet/dry is just combined; it’s okay if the blueberries get mashy.
  6. Divide mixture evenly into the muffin pan.  Top each with a few extra blueberries, if you would like.  Bake for 18-20 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.



No comments: