Welcome to my recipe collection.

These recipes offer a delicious mix of new and old world flavors. From the kitchens of my mother and grandmother in Transylvania to the new fusion mixes from my home kitchen in Canada. I have been inspired by the fickle tastes of my children ( vegetarian, pescatarian or whichever way the wind may blow) and my desire to become healthier without compromising taste. I hope you enjoy reading this as much as I have enjoyed writing it. Leave me comments and your favorite recipes!

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

MAPLE PEAR BREAD PUDDING

1 Tbsp (15 ml ) butter
4 eggs
1 c. (250 ml) milk
1/3 c. (75 ml) whipping cream (35%)
1/4 c. (50 ml) maple syrup
1/2 tsp. (2 ml) cinnamon
5 cups (1.25 L) slightly stale bread
1 pear, peeled and diced
1/4 c. (50 ml ) raisins

Butter six 6 oz. ramekins. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, combine the eggs, milk, whipping cream, maple syrup and cinnamon. Whisk to combine.
Add the bread, pear and raisins to the mixture and stir until completely combined. Let sit for a few minutes or until the bread soaks up most of the egg mixture.
Divide among the ramekins, making sure to use all the egg mixture.
Place the ramekins in a shallow baking dish large enough to hold all six.
Place in a preheated 350 F oven. Carefully pour enough boiling water into the baking dish to come about 1/3 way up the edge of the ramekins.
Bake for 35-45 minutes or until puffed and light golden.
Remove from oven. Serve warm with additional maple syrup.

Serves six. Use leftover crusty Italian or French bread. If the crust is to hard be sure to trim it off. 

1 comment:

Hajni said...

I think I will have to try making this.. even though it does not fit into our healthy eating plan! It looks delicious!!!!