Welcome to my recipe collection.

These recipes offer a delicious mix of new and old world flavors. From the kitchens of my mother and grandmother in Transylvania to the new fusion mixes from my home kitchen in Canada. I have been inspired by the fickle tastes of my children ( vegetarian, pescatarian or whichever way the wind may blow) and my desire to become healthier without compromising taste. I hope you enjoy reading this as much as I have enjoyed writing it. Leave me comments and your favorite recipes!

Friday, June 03, 2011

MEDITERRANEAN BAKED CHICKEN AND RICE

This is a really moreish dish, which no one will believe is low in fat.  It is very, very tasty.  I found it in the "Top 200 low fat recipes" by Judith Wills.  We loved it so much that we eat it before taking a picture for my blog.  This means that I have to make it again and make sure I take a picture of it, before oil eating it again. (-:  (-:  


1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
4 skinless chicken breast  fillets, halved
1 large mild onion, thinly sliced
2 red peppers, deseeded and thinly thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 orange, peeled and segmented
8 black stoned olives, halved
dash of Tabasco
 6 sun-dried tomatoes, finely chopped
1 tbsp tomato puree
1 tsp dried herbes de Provence or
1 tbsp mixed chopped fresh herbes
salt and black pepper
225 g long-grain rice
400 ml chicken stock
 
Heat half of the oil in a flameproof casserole and saute the chicken over a high heat,  turning halfway through, for about 3 minutes until browned. Remove with a slotted spoon and reserve.

Add the rest of the oil and the onion and peppers, and saute over a medium-high heat for 5 minutes until softened and turning slightly golden. Add the garlic for the last minute of cooking.

Add the orange, olives, Tabasco, sun-dried tomatoes, tomato puree, herbs and seasoning, and stir well, then add the rice and stir again.

Pour in the stock, bring to a simmer, then cover and transfer to a preheated oven,  170C/337F/Gas 3 1/2 , for 45-50 minutes until the chicken and rice are cooked and the stock is nearly completely absorbed. (Check about 10 minutes before the end of cooking time that there is still enough moisture left in the casserole. If not, add a little more hot stock or water.
 
Serves 4, 505 calories per portion, 10 g fat per portion
Serving suggestion: a green salad or green beans are good with this dish
Tips: you can use parsley, basil, thyme, rosemary and oregano in this dish; if using rosemary, chop very finely; you can use brown rice or wholewheat grains, if preferred, in which case add another 20 minutes to the cooking time.

2 comments:

Hajni said...

I made a version of this and it is delicious. Easy to make, and the flavors complement each other very well! Thanks for the recipe!

Hajni said...

Just made this again! Delicious. I used brown rice instead of the regular long grain rice, and it took about double the time to cook.