Welcome to my recipe collection.

These recipes offer a delicious mix of new and old world flavors. From the kitchens of my mother and grandmother in Transylvania to the new fusion mixes from my home kitchen in Canada. I have been inspired by the fickle tastes of my children ( vegetarian, pescatarian or whichever way the wind may blow) and my desire to become healthier without compromising taste. I hope you enjoy reading this as much as I have enjoyed writing it. Leave me comments and your favorite recipes!

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

SAUCY APPLE CAKE

This is from the "Smartshopper" publication. It sounds very good, and the picture with whip cream it is very appetizing.
1 cup (250 ml) sugar
1/4 cup (50 ml) butter, cubed, at room temperature
2 eggs
1 cup (250 ml) all-purpose flour
1 tsp (5 ml) cinnamon
1 tsp (5 ml) baking soda
1/4 tsp (1ml) salt
2 cups (500 ml) chopped peeled apples (McIntosh or Gala)

Sauce:
1/2 cup (125 ml) each brown sugar and white sugar
1/2 cup (125 ml) 18%cream
1/4 cup (50 ml) butter

Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C). Grease a 9 inch (2.5 L) square cake pan.
In a large bowl, beat together sugar, butter and  eggs until light and fluffy.
Combine flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Stir into batter with apples. Spread in prepared pan.
Bake for 30-40 minutes or until centre of cake springs back when lightly touched or a toothpick comes out clean.
Sauce: Combine sauce ingredients in a small saucepan. Bring to a gentle boil and cook, stirring until slightly thickened.
Serve cake warm with warm sauce.
Serves eight.  

No comments: