Welcome to my recipe collection.

These recipes offer a delicious mix of new and old world flavors. From the kitchens of my mother and grandmother in Transylvania to the new fusion mixes from my home kitchen in Canada. I have been inspired by the fickle tastes of my children ( vegetarian, pescatarian or whichever way the wind may blow) and my desire to become healthier without compromising taste. I hope you enjoy reading this as much as I have enjoyed writing it. Leave me comments and your favorite recipes!

Saturday, November 05, 2011

ALMOND-APRICOT BISCOTTI

This is my first attempt of baking biscotti. I was convinced I do not know how to make it. However, when I saw this recipe in the LCBO's  Food & Drink Autumn 2011 magazine, I had to make it. It was a success. Now I am planing to make it again.



1 3/4 cup (425 ml) all-purpose flour
1 cup (250 ml) ground almonds
1 tsp (5 ml) baking powder
1 lemon
1/2 cup (125 ml) unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 eggs
1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla
1/2 cup (125 ml) dried apricots, finely chopped
1/4 cup (60 ml) whole skin-on almonds, finely chopped
Granulated sugar for sprinkling

Preheat oven to 350 F (180C).

In a large bowl, stir flour with ground almonds and baking powderwith a fork or whisk. Finely grate 1 tsp (5ml) zest from lemon. Stir into flour mixture.

Place butter and sugar in a large bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat until smooth. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time. Add vanilla and beat until evenly mixed. Add flour mixture. Beat until evenly mixed. Add flour mixture. Beat until almost incorporated and dough comes together. Stir in finely chopped apricots and almonds until evenly distributed.

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place dough on sheet and form into a log about 12 in (30cm) long, 3 in (8cm) wide and 1 in (2.5cm) tall. The dough will be sticky, so you may need to wet your hands while forming the log. Sprinkle with granulated sugar, if desired.

Bake in centre of preheated oven for about 25 to 30 minutes, until lightly golden on top. Remove from oven and allow log to to cool completely, at least 30 minutes. Meanwhile reduce oven temperature to 300F (150C). When log is cool, gently remove to a cutting board. Using a serrated knife, carefully slice 1/2 inch thick (1cm) pieces. Place slices on a rack set on the baking sheet.

Bake again for 20 to 30minutes, until lightly golden and dry. Cool completely before serving. The  biscotti will keep well in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week. Or freez up to 1 month.

Makes 24 to 26 biscotti.

No comments: