Welcome to my recipe collection.

These recipes offer a delicious mix of new and old world flavors. From the kitchens of my mother and grandmother in Transylvania to the new fusion mixes from my home kitchen in Canada. I have been inspired by the fickle tastes of my children ( vegetarian, pescatarian or whichever way the wind may blow) and my desire to become healthier without compromising taste. I hope you enjoy reading this as much as I have enjoyed writing it. Leave me comments and your favorite recipes!

Friday, February 24, 2012

CINNAMON RAISIN BAGUETTES - for BREAD MACHINE

I am always looking for recipes where I can use the bread machine to make the dough.  I found this in our community newspaper, the Ottawa West EMC.  I have not tried yet, but I will soon, and I also will post a picture of the baguette. (-:  

1 cup water
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
3/4 tsp cinnamon
2 3/4 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp bread machine yeast
3/4 cup raisins
1 egg yolk
2 tbsp water

Place the water, sugar, salt, cinnamon, flour and yeast in the bread machine in the order  given. It's important that the cinnamon doesn't touch the yeast, because it can prevent the yeast from working properly.
Start the bread machine on the dough cycle. Add the raisins when the machine beeps for the addition of ingredients, or during the second kneading if your machine has no indicator.
When the dough cycle has finished, turn it out on a lightly floured surface. Pat the dough down, and cut it into two pieces. Set one portion aside.
Take the other portion and roll it back and forth on a lightly floured surface shaping it into a loaf about 12 inches long and about two inches high. Try to keep it the same thickness throughout.
Set this loaf on a greased baking sheet, leaving room beside it for the next one. With a sharp knife make three or  four diagonal cuts in the top of the loaf about 1/4 inch deep.
Repeat the shaping, cutting with the second dough.
Cover loaves with a damp tea towel and let them rise for 30 minutes or until they have doubled in height. Once the dough has risen, remove the cloth.
Stir the egg yolk and water in a small cup, mixing them well, then brush each loaf with this egg glaze.
Bake at 375 F (190 C) for 20 to 25 minutes. Serve warm or cool on a rack before freezing. Makes two loaves.




No comments: