Welcome to my recipe collection.

These recipes offer a delicious mix of new and old world flavors. From the kitchens of my mother and grandmother in Transylvania to the new fusion mixes from my home kitchen in Canada. I have been inspired by the fickle tastes of my children ( vegetarian, pescatarian or whichever way the wind may blow) and my desire to become healthier without compromising taste. I hope you enjoy reading this as much as I have enjoyed writing it. Leave me comments and your favorite recipes!

Sunday, February 19, 2012

CURRIED LENTIL STEW






We don't have lentils very often. We are not accustomed to food made from lentils. I tried this stew and came out a big success,  Definitely is something I will make , many times from now on. The spices give a totally new taste to the lentils. It is a very tasty dish.  Can be a main dish or it can be a side dish.

2 tablespoons  (30 ml) olive oil
1 cup (160g) onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 medium potato, diced
1/2 cup (65 g) carrot, sliced
1/2 cup (75g) green bell peppers, diced
1 tablespoon (6g) coriander
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 cup (192g) lentils
2 cups (475 ml) water
2 tablespoons (32 g) tomato paste

In a large pot heat oil, fry onion and garlic for a couple of minutes. Add potatoes, carrots and bell pepper and continue to fry for a few more minutes, stirring occasionally. Add spices and stir-fry for a couple of seconds. Add lentils and tomato paste, stir quickly, and add water. Cover, raise heat and bring to o boil. Reduce heat and simmer gently for 30 minutes. Check the water levels and lentil consistency. Cook for another 15 minutes if lentils are not cooked. Remove from heat and let cool slightly. The mixture should be moist but not overly thin.

Yield: 8 servings
Each with: 142 g water, 112 calories (29% from fat, 13% from protein, 58% from carb); 4 g protein, 4 g total fat, 1 g saturated fat, 3 g monounsaturated fat, 0 g polyunsaturated fat, 17 g carb, 4 g fiber, 3 g sugar, 89 mg phosphorous, 25 mg calcium, 2 mg iron, 47 mg sodium, 433 mg potassium, 1465 IU vitamin A, 0 mg ATE vitamin E, 17 mg vitamin C, 0 mg cholesterol. 

GI: low

No comments: