Welcome to my recipe collection.

These recipes offer a delicious mix of new and old world flavors. From the kitchens of my mother and grandmother in Transylvania to the new fusion mixes from my home kitchen in Canada. I have been inspired by the fickle tastes of my children ( vegetarian, pescatarian or whichever way the wind may blow) and my desire to become healthier without compromising taste. I hope you enjoy reading this as much as I have enjoyed writing it. Leave me comments and your favorite recipes!

Sunday, February 19, 2012

PORK TENDERLOIN WITH APPLES COMPOTE

Serve this comforting dish with Brussels sprouts, sliced carrots and some boiled new potatoes tossed in lemon juice and parsley. It is very very tasty.

1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp dried sage leaves
1/4 tsp dried thyme leaves
pinch each salt and pepper
1 pork tenderloin, about 12 oz
1 tbsp canola oil

Apple compote:
1 tsp canola oil
2 small apples cored and diced
1 onion, finely chopped
1/4 tsp dried thyme leaves
pinch each salt and pepper
1/4 cup currants , I used dried cranberries
2 tbsp apple juice

In a small bowl stir together mustard, sage, thyme, salt and pepper. Rub mixture all over tenderloin.
In ovenproof non-stick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Brown tenderloin on one side, turn over and place skillet in 400F oven for about 20 minutes or until pork hasonly a hint of pink inside. Let stand for 5 minutes before slicing.

Apple compote:Meanwhile in another non-stick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook apples, onion, thyme, salt and pepper for 5 minutes or until light golden. Add currants and apple juice; cook for 1 minute or until apples are tender-crisp.
Slice tenderloin and serve with apple compote.

Makes 3 servings.  GI: yellow-light

No comments: