Welcome to my recipe collection.

These recipes offer a delicious mix of new and old world flavors. From the kitchens of my mother and grandmother in Transylvania to the new fusion mixes from my home kitchen in Canada. I have been inspired by the fickle tastes of my children ( vegetarian, pescatarian or whichever way the wind may blow) and my desire to become healthier without compromising taste. I hope you enjoy reading this as much as I have enjoyed writing it. Leave me comments and your favorite recipes!

Wednesday, April 30, 2014

BERRY AND CREAM SCONES


Yield: about 30 scones
Ingredients

  3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  1/2 cup granulated sugar
  2 tablespoons baking powder
  3/4 teaspoon salt
  1/2 cups heavy cream
  3/4 cup dried fruit, cut into 1/4-inch pieces*
  1/2 cup white chocolate chunks
  1 cup your favorite jam**
  1/4 cup half and half
  • coarse sugar
Instructions


Preheat oven to 350°. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone liners.

In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.

Add cream, dried fruit, and white chocolate. Use a wooden spoon or an electric mixer on low speed to mix until combined.

Using a large scoop***, place scones about 2 inches apart on prepared pan.
Use your thumb or a spoon to make a deep thumbprint in the center of each scone. Fill each impression with jam.

Lightly brush each scone (not the jam) with half and half. Sprinkle each scone with coarse sugar.
Bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until scones are golden brown. Cool 15 minutes before serving.


Notes
*I used a combination of dried strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries.
**These work best with a nice, thick jam. I topped some of mine with blueberry jam and some with raspberry jam.
***I used a 3-tablespoon scoop, but a 4-tablespoon scoop would work well, too. You'll just get fewer scones.

Recipe very slightly adapted from a recipe provided courtesy of Panera.
http://www.bakeorbreak.com/2014/04/berry-and-cream-thumbprint-scones/

No comments: