Welcome to my recipe collection.

These recipes offer a delicious mix of new and old world flavors. From the kitchens of my mother and grandmother in Transylvania to the new fusion mixes from my home kitchen in Canada. I have been inspired by the fickle tastes of my children ( vegetarian, pescatarian or whichever way the wind may blow) and my desire to become healthier without compromising taste. I hope you enjoy reading this as much as I have enjoyed writing it. Leave me comments and your favorite recipes!

Saturday, March 29, 2014

GRANDMA'S BAKING POWDER BISCUITS

Ingredients 

Original recipe makes 1 dozen biscuits Change Servings
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 tablespoons white sugar
  • 4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
  • 1 egg
  • 2/3 cup milk


Directions

  1. Preheat an oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C)
  2.  Sift flour, sugar, baking powder, cream of tartar, and salt into a bowl. Use a pastry cutter to chop vegetable shortening into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs. Whisk egg and milk together in a separate bowl and slowly add milk mixture to flour mixture, stirring as you pour, until dough is moistened and well-mixed. Drop dough by spoonfuls onto an ungreased baking sheet.
  3. Bake in the preheated oven until biscuits have risen and are golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes.
  • PREP 15 mins
  • COOK 10 mins
  • READY IN 25 mins

Footnotes

  • Cook's Note:
  • You can place dough on a floured countertop and knead more flour into dough until it no longer sticks to your fingers. Pat out to desired thickness. Cut with a biscuit cutter and transfer biscuits to an ungreased cookie sheet.

No comments: