Welcome to my recipe collection.

These recipes offer a delicious mix of new and old world flavors. From the kitchens of my mother and grandmother in Transylvania to the new fusion mixes from my home kitchen in Canada. I have been inspired by the fickle tastes of my children ( vegetarian, pescatarian or whichever way the wind may blow) and my desire to become healthier without compromising taste. I hope you enjoy reading this as much as I have enjoyed writing it. Leave me comments and your favorite recipes!

Friday, March 21, 2014

SWEET POTATO, MAPLE AND PECAN TARTS

Preparation time10 min. Cooking time 37min. Makes 24 tarts. It is delicious and easy to make. I will definitely make it again.

Ingredients:
- 1 medium sweet potato, about 375g (12 oz)
- 25 ml (2 tbso) butter melted
- 2 eggs
- 250 ml (1 cup) maple syrup
- 2 ml (1/2 tsp) vanilla
- pich salt
- 8 cm (24, 3-inch) frozen tart shells, thawed
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) chopped toasted pecans

Preparation:
1. Scrub the sweet potato and trim off the ends. Pierce it with small knife in several places; microwave on the high setting for six to eight minutes or until tender, turning over halfway through the cycle.
 2. Let the sweet potato cool enough to handle, then remove the skin and mash it with a fork until smooth. Whisk in the butter, eggs, maple syrup, vanilla and salt until it's smooth. I placed all these in the blender and I run it till it was smooth.Using the blender's cup it was easy to pour the filling into  the tart shells.
3. Bake the tart shells on a baking sheet, in batches if necessary, in a 190 C (375 F) oven for five minutes.
4. Remove from the oven and sprinkle the pecans among partially baked shelles, gentlybpushing down any puffed-up pastry.
5. Divide the sweet potato mixture among the shelles.
6. Bake for 20 to 24 minutes or until filling is slightly puffed, almost set and pastry is lightly golden.
7. Let it cool on a rack.


No comments: