Welcome to my recipe collection.

These recipes offer a delicious mix of new and old world flavors. From the kitchens of my mother and grandmother in Transylvania to the new fusion mixes from my home kitchen in Canada. I have been inspired by the fickle tastes of my children ( vegetarian, pescatarian or whichever way the wind may blow) and my desire to become healthier without compromising taste. I hope you enjoy reading this as much as I have enjoyed writing it. Leave me comments and your favorite recipes!

Monday, October 10, 2011

OATMEAL, PECAN, RAISIN AND DATE COOKIES

Source: Maxine Black, Alpha Soul Cafe, Ottawa
Makes 20 cookies.  I am not a cookie lover/eater, these I like. 


2 cups (500ml) all purpose flour
1 teaspoon (5 ml) baking powder
1 teaspoon (5 ml) ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon (2 ml) baking soda
1/2 teaspoon (2 ml)salt
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup 950 ml) solid vegetable shortening, room temperature
1 cup (250 ml) sugar
1 cup (250 ml) packed dark brown sugar
2 large eggs
1/4 cup (50 ml) honey
1 tablespoon (15 ml) vanilla extract
3 cups (750 ml) old-fashioned oats
1 cup (250 ml) raisins
1 cup (250 ml) chopped pitted dates
1 cup (250 ml) chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 350 F (160 C)
Line 2 large rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper.
Whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt in medium bowl.
Using electric mixer, beat butter, shortening, and both sugars in separate bowl until light and fluffy.
Beat in eggs, honey, vanilla.
Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in oats, raisins, dates, and walnuts pecans.
Drop batter by 1/4 cup (50 ml) portions onto prepared baking sheets, spacing 2 inches (5 cm) apart. Flatten cookies slightly.
Bake until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Cool completely on sheets

No comments: