Welcome to my recipe collection.

These recipes offer a delicious mix of new and old world flavors. From the kitchens of my mother and grandmother in Transylvania to the new fusion mixes from my home kitchen in Canada. I have been inspired by the fickle tastes of my children ( vegetarian, pescatarian or whichever way the wind may blow) and my desire to become healthier without compromising taste. I hope you enjoy reading this as much as I have enjoyed writing it. Leave me comments and your favorite recipes!

Sunday, October 16, 2011

SWISS CHARD WITH TOMATO SAUCE

I have lots of Swiss chard in my vegetable garden; so I was very happy when I saw this recipe. And is tasty too.
1bunch Swiss chard (1 1/2 to 2 lb;  750g to 1kg)
4 ripe tomatoes
2 tbsp / 30ml extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup /125ml chopped sweet onion
1/2 tsp / 2ml saltpinch hot pepper flakes
1 clove garlic, minced
Generous 1/4 tsp / 1ml smoked paprika or 1/2 tsp / 2ml sweet paprika

Pull leaves off chard stems. Chop leaves roughly; set aside. In large pot of boiling water, boil stems until tender, 6 to 8 minutes. With tongs, remove from boiling pot; drain and chop. Add leaves to pot; boil until wilted. Drain; chill under cold water and drain again; pressing out excess water.

Halve tomatoes; grate over shredding holes on box grater. Discard skins.

In skillet, heat oil over medium heat; fry onion, salt and hot pepper flakes until onion is soft, about 4 minutes. Add garlic; cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add tomatoes; bring to boil. Cook, stirring for 1 minute. Stir in paprika. Add chard stems and leaves; simmer until chard is very tender and sauce is slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Makes 4-6 servings.

Per each of 6 servings: about 79 cal, 3g pro, 5g total fat (1g sat. fat.) , 8g carb, 3g fibre, 0 mg chol, 245 mg sodium, 764mg potassium. % RDI 7% calcium, 15% iron, 56% vit A, 38% vit C, 5% folate.

I changed the procedure: I did not do the boiling of Swiss chard. I cut up the stems and put it with the onion to fry.  I added the leaves after the tomatoes and followed the recipe. 

No comments: