Welcome to my recipe collection.

These recipes offer a delicious mix of new and old world flavors. From the kitchens of my mother and grandmother in Transylvania to the new fusion mixes from my home kitchen in Canada. I have been inspired by the fickle tastes of my children ( vegetarian, pescatarian or whichever way the wind may blow) and my desire to become healthier without compromising taste. I hope you enjoy reading this as much as I have enjoyed writing it. Leave me comments and your favorite recipes!

Sunday, October 30, 2011

QUINOA FRUIT SALAD WITH HERB DRESSING

1 cup organic quinoa, rinsed, drained
1 1/2 cups boiling water
1 pinch sea salt
2/3 cup roasted almonds, chopped
1/3 cup organic dried cranberries
1/3 cup raisins
1 1/2 cups orange sections, sliced

Dressing:
1/3 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
2 tbsp cold pressed virgin olive oil
3 tbsp minced parsley
2 tbsp minced fresh mint
1 tbsp orange zest(grated peel)
1/4 cup finely chopped shallots or finely chopped red onion
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground coriander
4 whole lettuce leaves

Directions:
Place quinoa and sea salt in boiling water, cover, reduce the flame to medium-low and simmer 12 to 15 minutes. Remove from the flame. Place quinoa in a medium mixing bowl and toss to cool. When cool add cranberries, raisins, almonds, and oranges. Whisk the dressing ingredients together and pour over the salad. Toss to mix. Place a lettuce leaf on each serving plate. Place salad on top and serve as is or chilled.

Serves 4
Nutritional info: per serving 512 calories; 21 g fat (36% calories from fat), 16 g protein, 68 g carbohydrate, 17 g fibre, 0 mg cholesterol, 116 mg sodium
 

No comments: