Welcome to my recipe collection.

These recipes offer a delicious mix of new and old world flavors. From the kitchens of my mother and grandmother in Transylvania to the new fusion mixes from my home kitchen in Canada. I have been inspired by the fickle tastes of my children ( vegetarian, pescatarian or whichever way the wind may blow) and my desire to become healthier without compromising taste. I hope you enjoy reading this as much as I have enjoyed writing it. Leave me comments and your favorite recipes!

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

APRICOT (DATE) BARS

 I had a big package of dried apricots. I decided to make apricot bars, using a date bars recipe.
 Delicious apricot (date) bars, made with an oat crust and wonderful apricot (date) filling.
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes


Ingredients:
3/4 cup butter or margarine
1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon soda
1 1/2 cups quick-cooking oats, uncooked
apricot (date) filling (below)

Preparation:

Directions for date squares.
Cream butter (or margarine) and sugar together until light and fluffy. combine flour, salt and soda; add to creamed mixture. Stir in oats, blending well.
Pat half of the mixture into a lightly buttered 13x9x2-inch baking pan; spread with date filling then top with remaining crust mixture. Pat lightly to smooth top crust. Bake at 400° for 30 minutes. Cut into bars while still warm; remove from pan. Makes 32 date squares or bars.

Apricot (Date) Filling

1 1/2 pounds apricots (dates), chopped 1/4 cup sugar 1 1/2 cups water -I left it out the sugar;
placed everything in the foodprocessor; do not forget to place the lid of the foodprocessor back.

Apricot (date) filling for apricot (date) squares. Combine apricot (dates), sugar, and water in a medium saucepan; cook over low heat for 5 to 10 minutes, or until smooth and thick. Cool slightly before spreading on oat crust. Makes 3 cups of apricot (date) filling for apricot (date) squares.

No comments: