Welcome to my recipe collection.

These recipes offer a delicious mix of new and old world flavors. From the kitchens of my mother and grandmother in Transylvania to the new fusion mixes from my home kitchen in Canada. I have been inspired by the fickle tastes of my children ( vegetarian, pescatarian or whichever way the wind may blow) and my desire to become healthier without compromising taste. I hope you enjoy reading this as much as I have enjoyed writing it. Leave me comments and your favorite recipes!

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

CHORIZZO-STUFFED ACORN SQUASH

Spicy chorizo, hearty bulgur, and grated cheese make a tasty and satisfying filling for the tender baked squash.

Serves 4Hands-On Time: 20mTotal Time: 40m

Ingredients

Directions

  1. Heat oven to 450° F. Place the squash halves cut-side down in a baking dish, add ¼ inch water, cover with foil, and bake until tender, 25 to 30 minutes.
  2. Meanwhile, cook the bulgur according to the package directions. In a medium bowl, combine the bulgur, manchego, chorizo, parsley, 1 tablespoon of the oil, and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper.
  3. Turn the squash halves cut-side up and, dividing evenly, fill with the bulgur mixture. Bake until the filling is warmed through and the manchego is melted, 8 to 10 minutes.
  4. In a large bowl, whisk together the vinegar, the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil, and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper. Add the lettuce and toss to combine. Serve with the squash.
By Charlyne Mattox , October, 2012


Nutritional Information

  • Per Serving
  • Calories 468
  • Fat 29g
  • Sat Fat 12g
  • Cholesterol 49mg
  • Sodium 704mg
  • Protein 17g
  • Carbohydrate 38g
  • Sugar 5g
  • Fiber 7g
  • Iron 4mg
  • Calcium 411mg

No comments: