Welcome to my recipe collection.

These recipes offer a delicious mix of new and old world flavors. From the kitchens of my mother and grandmother in Transylvania to the new fusion mixes from my home kitchen in Canada. I have been inspired by the fickle tastes of my children ( vegetarian, pescatarian or whichever way the wind may blow) and my desire to become healthier without compromising taste. I hope you enjoy reading this as much as I have enjoyed writing it. Leave me comments and your favorite recipes!

Friday, November 14, 2014

MOROCCAN LENTIL AND VEGETABLE STEW


VERY, VERY GOOD! I am not a lentil person but i liked this stew. Definitely I will make it again.

Prep time
Cook time
Total time
Author:
Total Cost: $7.43
Cost Per Serving: $0.93
Serves: 8 (1.5 cups each)
Ingredients
  • 2 Tbsp olive oil $0.16
  • 1 medium yellow onion $0.36
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced $0.32
  • 4 stalks (about half a bunch) celery $0.65
  • ½ Tbsp ground cumin $0.10
  • 1 tsp turmeric $0.10
  • 1 tsp cinnamon $0.10
  • ¼ tsp cayenne pepper $0.02
  • 1 (19 oz.) can chickpeas $1.89*
  • 1 (28 oz.) can diced tomatoes $1.39
  • ½ lb. frozen cauliflower florets $0.83
  • 6 cups vegetable broth $0.63**
  • 1 cup brown lentils $0.68
  • 1 bay leaf $0.15
Instructions
  1. Dice the onion and mince the garlic. Sauté both in a large pot with olive oil over medium heat until softened. Dice the celery while the onions and garlic are sautéing, then add to the pot and continue to sauté for 2-3 minutes more.
  2. Add the cumin, turmeric, cinnamon, and cayenne pepper to the pot. Stir and cook the spices with the vegetables for 1-2 minutes.
  3. Add the diced tomatoes (with juices), chickpeas (rinsed and drained), and cauliflower florets (no need to thaw). Stir the pot until everything is well mixed.
  4. Add the vegetable broth and bay leaf, turn the heat up to high, place a lid on the pot, and allow it to come to a boil. Once it reaches a boil, add the lentils. Stir and let it come back up to a boil, then turn the heat down to low. Let the stew simmer on low, with the lid, for 30 minutes.
  5. After simmering for 30 minutes, the lentils should be tender. Remove the bay leaf and give the stew a taste. Add salt if needed (this will depend on the type of vegetable broth used. I did not add any additional salt), then serve.
Notes
*If you can't find 19oz. cans of chickpeas, a 15oz. can will suffice.

**I use Better Than Bouillon soup base to make my broth.

No comments: