Welcome to my recipe collection.

These recipes offer a delicious mix of new and old world flavors. From the kitchens of my mother and grandmother in Transylvania to the new fusion mixes from my home kitchen in Canada. I have been inspired by the fickle tastes of my children ( vegetarian, pescatarian or whichever way the wind may blow) and my desire to become healthier without compromising taste. I hope you enjoy reading this as much as I have enjoyed writing it. Leave me comments and your favorite recipes!

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

COUNTRY RICE

Glycemic Index: low    Yield: 4 servings

 1 cup (235 ml) low-sodium chicken broth
2/3 cup (67 g) chopped green onion
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2/3 cup (130 g) uncooked rice

Bring the broth to a boil with the green onion and pepper. Add the rice, turn down to a simmer, cover, and cook for 20 minutes.


Each serving: 91g water; 48calories ( 9% from fat, 19% from protein, 72% from carb); 2 g protein; 0g total fat; 0 g saturated fat; 0 g monounsaturated fat; 0g polyunsaturated fat; 9g carb; 1 g fibre; 0 g sugar; 39 mg phosphorus; 20 mg calcium; 1 mg iron; 21 mg sodium; 114 mg potassium; 167 IU vitamin A; 3mg vitamin C; 0 mg cholesterol

No comments: