Welcome to my recipe collection.

These recipes offer a delicious mix of new and old world flavors. From the kitchens of my mother and grandmother in Transylvania to the new fusion mixes from my home kitchen in Canada. I have been inspired by the fickle tastes of my children ( vegetarian, pescatarian or whichever way the wind may blow) and my desire to become healthier without compromising taste. I hope you enjoy reading this as much as I have enjoyed writing it. Leave me comments and your favorite recipes!

Monday, January 02, 2012

PLUM DIPPING SAUCE

Serve with duck, roast pork or chicken fingers. The sauce keeps for a year; store it in a dark, cool place, and refrigerate after opening.  Makes five 250 ml jars.


8 cups / 2 l chopped pitted prune or Damson plums
1 sweet or white onion, chopped
1 1/2 cups / 375 ml granulated sugar 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp/ 140 ml rice vinegar
1/3 cup/ 75 ml Chinese rice wine (substitute with sake or dry sherry)
4 tsp / 20 ml minced fresh ginger
3 cloves garlic minced
2 star anise
2 inch /5 cm piece cinnamon stick
5 whole cloves
optional: 4 green cardamom pods, crushed
1/2 tsp/ 2ml salt

In a large heavy-bottomed saucepan, stir together plums, onion, sugar, vinegar, 1/2 cup / 125ml water, ginger, garlic, star anise, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom (if using) and salt.
Nring to boil, stirring. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer, stirring ocasionally, until thickened to applesauce consistency, 1 to 1 1/4 hours.
Strain plum mixture over clean saucepan through food mill or fine sieve, pushing through as much of the solids as possible.
Return plum mixture to simmer. Ladle into 5 hot sterilized 250 ml canning jars. Seal with prepared discs and bands. Process jars for 15 minutes in boiling water. Let cool on rack.

No comments: