Welcome to my recipe collection.

These recipes offer a delicious mix of new and old world flavors. From the kitchens of my mother and grandmother in Transylvania to the new fusion mixes from my home kitchen in Canada. I have been inspired by the fickle tastes of my children ( vegetarian, pescatarian or whichever way the wind may blow) and my desire to become healthier without compromising taste. I hope you enjoy reading this as much as I have enjoyed writing it. Leave me comments and your favorite recipes!

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

EGGPLANT AND TOMATO SAUCE

Glycemic Index: low Yield: 6 servings  It is very tasty as a pasta sauce or with meat.

 1 teaspoon olive oil
3/4 cup (175 ml) dry sherry
1 cup (160 g) onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup (25 g) celery chopped
1 cup (82 g) eggplant, peeled and cubed
1/2 cup (75 g) red bell peppers, minced
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
3 cups (540 g) n0-salt-added tomatoes chopped
1 tablespoon (2.5g ) fresh basil
pepper to taste

In a large skillet, heat oil and sherry until bubbling. Add onion and cook for 5 minutes. Add garlic, celery, eggplant, and pepper. Cover and cook for 2 minutes. Add nutmeg, basil and tomatoes.  Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer, uncovered for 20 minutes. Season to taste.

Each serving: 186 g water; 94 calories ( 14% from fat; 9% from protein, 76% from carb); 2 g protein, 1 g total fat; 0 g saturated fat; 1 g monounsaturated fat; 0g polyunsaturated fat; 13 g carb; 3g fiber; 7 g sugar; 43 mg phosphorous; 57 g calcium; 2 mg iron; 24 mg sodium;373 mg potassium; 585 IU vitamin A; 0 mg ATE vitamin E; 30 mg vitamin C; 0 mg cholesterol

No comments: