Welcome to my recipe collection.

These recipes offer a delicious mix of new and old world flavors. From the kitchens of my mother and grandmother in Transylvania to the new fusion mixes from my home kitchen in Canada. I have been inspired by the fickle tastes of my children ( vegetarian, pescatarian or whichever way the wind may blow) and my desire to become healthier without compromising taste. I hope you enjoy reading this as much as I have enjoyed writing it. Leave me comments and your favorite recipes!

Thursday, January 19, 2012

PUMPKIN MUFFINS

As I am continuing my GI diet,  today I tried my hand in muffin making  They came out very tasty.
Yields 8 servings. Glycemic Index: Low

1 cup (125 g) flour
1/2 cup (56g) wheat bran
1 tablespoon (13g) sugar
2 teaspoons (4,8g) baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons (30ml) vegetable oil
1/2 cup (123g) pumpkin, canned or cooked
1 egg
3/4 cup (175 ml) orange juice
1/3 cup (48g ) raisins
1 tablespoon (7g) wheat germ

Combine all ingredients except the wheat germ in a mixing bowl. Stir to blend. Spoon into lightly oiled muffin tins (or paper baking cups sprayed with nonstick spray). Sprinkle on the wheat germ. Bake in a 400F (200C) or gas mark 6) oven for 10 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned.

Each: 42g water; 153 calories (27% from fat, 9% from protein, 64% from carb); 4 g Protein; 5 g total fat; 1g saturated fat; 1g monounsaturated fat; 2 g polyunsaturated fat; 26 g carb; 3g fiber; 6g sugar; 116 mg phosphorous; 88 g calcium; 2 mg iron; 136 mg sodium; 205 mg potassium; 2445 IU vitamin A; 11 mg ATE vitamin E; 9 mg vitamin C; 26 mg cholesterol

No comments: