Welcome to my recipe collection.

These recipes offer a delicious mix of new and old world flavors. From the kitchens of my mother and grandmother in Transylvania to the new fusion mixes from my home kitchen in Canada. I have been inspired by the fickle tastes of my children ( vegetarian, pescatarian or whichever way the wind may blow) and my desire to become healthier without compromising taste. I hope you enjoy reading this as much as I have enjoyed writing it. Leave me comments and your favorite recipes!

Sunday, April 04, 2010


PUREE of WHITE WINTER VEGETABLES

4 baking potatoes, peeled, coarsely chopped
2 turnips, peeled, coarsely chopped

1 large yellow onion, peeled and quartered
1 celery root (celeriac)
1 1/2 lb (750 g) peeled and coarsely chopped
10 cloves garlic


2 tbsp unsalted butter

2 tbsp heavy (double) cream

3 tbsp white wine vinegar
salt and freshly ground pepper



Place the potatoes , turnips, onion, celery root and garlic in a sauce pan. Add water to cover and bring it to boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered until the vegetables are completely tender when pierced with a knife, 20-25 minutes. Drain well, pressing the vegetables with the back of a spoon to drain off all the liquid.
In a small saucepan over medium heat melt the butter. Stir in the cream and remove from the heat. Place the drained vegetables in a food processor fitted with the metal blade and pulse several times until pureed.
Transfer the mixture to a clean saucepan. Stir in the butter-cream mixture and the vinegar. Place over medium heat and reheat to serving temperature. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Spoon de puree into a serving dish and serve hot.

No comments: