Welcome to my recipe collection.

These recipes offer a delicious mix of new and old world flavors. From the kitchens of my mother and grandmother in Transylvania to the new fusion mixes from my home kitchen in Canada. I have been inspired by the fickle tastes of my children ( vegetarian, pescatarian or whichever way the wind may blow) and my desire to become healthier without compromising taste. I hope you enjoy reading this as much as I have enjoyed writing it. Leave me comments and your favorite recipes!

Friday, January 21, 2011

WATERCRESS AND BROCCOLI SALAD WITH DRIED CRANBERRIES



We don't really like, therefore we don't eat frequently broccoli. One day I was listening to the radio, they were talking about the many benefits of eating broccoli. So I decided, we need to eat more. This is the first recipe I made and it was one instant success. My husband actually eat the leftover salad the next day. This definitely is a keeper.  The grocery store was out of watercress; I used radichio instead. It was delicious. 

4 cups broccoli florets (from about 1 1/2 pounds broccoli)

1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup honey
1 garlic clove, minced
3/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
6 tablespoons dried sweetened cranberries

2 bunches watercress, thick stems trimmed (about 5 cups)

Steam broccoli until crisp-tender, about 4 minutes. Rinse under cold water; drain.

Whisk vinegar, honey, and garlic in large bowl to blend. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add red onion and cranberries to dressing. Let stand until onion softens slightly, about 30 minutes.

Add broccoli and watercress to onion mixture and toss to coat. Sprinkle with pepper. Divide salad among plates.

No comments: