Welcome to my recipe collection.

These recipes offer a delicious mix of new and old world flavors. From the kitchens of my mother and grandmother in Transylvania to the new fusion mixes from my home kitchen in Canada. I have been inspired by the fickle tastes of my children ( vegetarian, pescatarian or whichever way the wind may blow) and my desire to become healthier without compromising taste. I hope you enjoy reading this as much as I have enjoyed writing it. Leave me comments and your favorite recipes!

Monday, December 26, 2011

RED DEER MARENGO


Serves 6

Ingredients
  • 3 lbs of red deer shoulder
  • 2 tbsp of olive oil
  • 1 tsp of salt
  • ¼ tsp of pepper
  • 2 tbsp of flour
  • 1 cup of thinly cut onions
  • 2 cups of white wine
  • 1½ cups of diced tomatoes
  • ½ tsp of basil
  • ½ tsp of thyme
  • ½ lb. of mushrooms
  • ½ tbsp of cornstarch
  • 1 tbsp of water
  • 3 tbsp of fresh thinly cut parsley
Directions
Cut the meat into cubes or strips and roll in the flour, salt and pepper mix.

Heat large pan with oil to medium high. Sear the meat in the hot oil and remove. In another pan, sauté onions for 5 minutes. Add meat to onions and cook for another 3 to 4 minutes. Deglaze the pan with white wine and let them simmer for 1 minute while stirring.

Add the diced tomatoes, basil, and thyme, and salt to taste. Cover and let simmer for 1 to 1½ hours or until the meat is tender.

Add the mushrooms and thicken sauce by adding cornstarch diluted in cold water.

No comments: