Welcome to my recipe collection.

These recipes offer a delicious mix of new and old world flavors. From the kitchens of my mother and grandmother in Transylvania to the new fusion mixes from my home kitchen in Canada. I have been inspired by the fickle tastes of my children ( vegetarian, pescatarian or whichever way the wind may blow) and my desire to become healthier without compromising taste. I hope you enjoy reading this as much as I have enjoyed writing it. Leave me comments and your favorite recipes!

Monday, December 26, 2011

RED DEER SHOULDER IN CREAM SAUCE


Serves 6

Ingredients
  • 1 kg boneless red deer shoulder roast
  • ¼ cup (50 ml) butter
  • 1 small onion, finely chopped
  • 10 juniper berries*, crushed
  • ½ cup (125 ml) dry white wine
  • ¾ cup (375 ml) whipping cream
  • 2 Tbsp (30 ml) cranberry sauce
  • Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
*Use 10 ml gin, if juniper berries are not available

Directions
Preheat oven to 450° F (235° C). Place butter in roasting pan and put in oven. Rub the roast with salt and pepper. When the butter starts to foam, add the roast, onion and juniper berries. Roast for 10 minutes, then lower oven temperature to 350° F (175° C).

Pour wine into pan, cover and cook the roast until tender (about 70 - 80 minutes, check with meat thermometer). Add water, if necessary to prevent the roast from drying out. Remove roast, set aside and keep warm.

On stove, pour cream and cranberry sauce into pan, scraping off solids from the seasoning with a little salt and a lot of freshly ground pepper. Carve the shoulder roast, and serve with a little sauce.

No comments: