Welcome to my recipe collection.

These recipes offer a delicious mix of new and old world flavors. From the kitchens of my mother and grandmother in Transylvania to the new fusion mixes from my home kitchen in Canada. I have been inspired by the fickle tastes of my children ( vegetarian, pescatarian or whichever way the wind may blow) and my desire to become healthier without compromising taste. I hope you enjoy reading this as much as I have enjoyed writing it. Leave me comments and your favorite recipes!

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

CHEESY BAKED MAC & CHEESE

For me mac & cheese meant the food in a carton box which we kept ready in the pantry when I needed a fast or cheep supper to make. Through my children cooking I learned that there is one other level, a "high end" for the simple mac & cheese. Voila !!!
Serves 6
Ingredients:
300 g elbow macaroni
500 g spicy Italian sausage, diced
250 g aged sharp cheddar, cubed
250 g mild cheddar or Monterey jack, cubed
1/3 cup butter
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1.5 teaspoon crushed garlic
3 tablespoons flour
14 oz can diced tomatoes
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup milk
1 cup breadcrumbs
Preheat oven to 350F. Butter a deep casserole dish.
Cook macaroni according to package directions.
In a medium saucepan cook sausage and set aside. Add butter and chopped onion. Sautee onion until translucent, add garlic and stir while adding flour to make a roux. Add diced tomatoes, cream, milk and while continuing to stir, add cheese cubes gradually. When completely melted, add macaroni and sausage. Mix evenly and pour into casserole. Top with breadcrumbs and bake uncovered for 30 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly and the top golden.
Enjoy!

No comments: