Welcome to my recipe collection.

These recipes offer a delicious mix of new and old world flavors. From the kitchens of my mother and grandmother in Transylvania to the new fusion mixes from my home kitchen in Canada. I have been inspired by the fickle tastes of my children ( vegetarian, pescatarian or whichever way the wind may blow) and my desire to become healthier without compromising taste. I hope you enjoy reading this as much as I have enjoyed writing it. Leave me comments and your favorite recipes!

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

HOMEMADE GRANOLA BAR

From Rick Gallop "The Glycemic Index Diet"

1 1/3 cups whole wheat flour
Sweetener equivalent to 1/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 cup wheat bran such as All-Bran or Bran Buds
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
1 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1 cup finely chopped dried apricots
1/2 cup shelled sunflower seeds
3/4 cup applesauce (unsweetened)
1/2 cup apple juice (unsweetened)
3 omega-3 eggs
2 teaspoon vegetable oil

Preheat the oven to 400F

Line a shallow 8-by 12-inch baking dish with parchment paper.

Mix the flour, sweetener, baking powder, wheat bran, cinnamon, allspice, ginger, and salt, if using , in a large bowl. Stir in the oats , apricots, and sunflower seeds.

Mix the applesauce, applejuice, eggs, and oil together, and add to the flour mixture.

Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish and spread it out evenly.

Bake until lightly browned, 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool and cut into 16 bars. Keep the bars in the freezer and microwave for 30 seconds on high power to warm.

No comments: