Welcome to my recipe collection.

These recipes offer a delicious mix of new and old world flavors. From the kitchens of my mother and grandmother in Transylvania to the new fusion mixes from my home kitchen in Canada. I have been inspired by the fickle tastes of my children ( vegetarian, pescatarian or whichever way the wind may blow) and my desire to become healthier without compromising taste. I hope you enjoy reading this as much as I have enjoyed writing it. Leave me comments and your favorite recipes!

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

CHOCOLATE POTS DE CREME

My daughter makes the best chocolate cream in the family. After a few unsuccessful tries I never ventured to this territory again. However, when I saw this recipe from cookbook author Bonnie Stern I decided to try it again. The result is a delicious, creamy chocolate cream which stands the test of my family, and great as desert after a sumptuous meal.

Ingredients:
3/4 cup (175ml) milk or cream
3 tbsp (45ml) sugar
2 egg yolks
1 tsp (5 ml) pure vanilla extract
3 oz (90g) bittersweet(70%) or semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
garnish (optional): whipped cream

I doubled the ingredients to be enough for each of us.

Heat milk, and sugar in a medium saucepan. Stir to dissolve sugar.

Beat egg yolks in a bowl and slowly whisk hot milk mixture into eggs. Return everything to a saucepan and cook gently, stirring, until mixture just comes to a boil. Continue to cook for about a minutes, stirring, until slightly thickened. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract and chopped chocolate. Stir until chocolate melts.

Strain mixture and spoon into ramekins or small glasses. Chill.

Top with a dollop of whipped cream, if desired.

Nutrition facts: 1 serving has: 394 calories, 9 g protein, 24 g fat, 45 g carbohydrate, 2 g fibre.

No comments: