Welcome to my recipe collection.

These recipes offer a delicious mix of new and old world flavors. From the kitchens of my mother and grandmother in Transylvania to the new fusion mixes from my home kitchen in Canada. I have been inspired by the fickle tastes of my children ( vegetarian, pescatarian or whichever way the wind may blow) and my desire to become healthier without compromising taste. I hope you enjoy reading this as much as I have enjoyed writing it. Leave me comments and your favorite recipes!

Tuesday, March 20, 2018

CRANBERRY PORK CHOPS

Serves 4 to 6

4 boneless pork chops, about 1/2-inch thick (2 to 3 pounds total)
2 tablespoons unsalted butter 
1/2 cup chopped onion, from 1 small onion
1/4 cup chopped celery, from 1 large celery rib
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme 
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper 
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/4 cup chicken or vegetable broth, or white wine — added to the slow cooker
* Optional Step: Heat a large skillet over high heat and sear the pork chops for 2 minutes on each side. Immediately place them in the fridge or freezer to cool completely. (See Recipe Note and Tester's Notes for thoughts on food safety and searing ahead.)
In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, and garlic, and cook, stirring, until the vegetables are tender. Sprinkle with the salt as it cooks. Set the mixture aside to cool completely.
Place the cooled sautéed vegetables, cranberries, pork chops, pepper, thyme, and brown sugar in a 1-gallon freezer bag. Seal the bag, squeezing out as much air as possible. Massage the bag to distribute the ingredients evenly.

Freezing Instructions

Freeze the bag flat in the freezer for up to 3 months.

Thawing & Cooking Instructions

Thaw the pork chops on a tray or dish in the refrigerator. On the morning of the day you plan to serve this dish, empty the contents of the bag into a 4-quart slow cooker and add 1/4 cup broth or wine. Cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours, or until the pork chops are cooked through.

**i cooked it at once , i didn't freeze it.

1 comment:

Earl Rosa said...

This looks delicious, would check my provider if they have such meal in their recipes, it is tough for someone like to cook, can't get enough time due to my job. I get my meals from https://activeats.ca/, do give them a try if you are in such position.