Welcome to my recipe collection.

These recipes offer a delicious mix of new and old world flavors. From the kitchens of my mother and grandmother in Transylvania to the new fusion mixes from my home kitchen in Canada. I have been inspired by the fickle tastes of my children ( vegetarian, pescatarian or whichever way the wind may blow) and my desire to become healthier without compromising taste. I hope you enjoy reading this as much as I have enjoyed writing it. Leave me comments and your favorite recipes!

Tuesday, March 20, 2018

SPANISH COCONUT AND PISTACHIO CAKE

Makes 1 cake
Preparation time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 40 mins
Serves: 8-10
Ingredients
3 large eggs
120g caster sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
200g ground almonds
100g desiccated coconut
2 teaspoons cinnamon
150g unsalted butter / non-dairy margarine – melted
2 large carrots – peeled and coarsely grated
100g pistachio nuts – roughly chopped
1 handful raisins
Icing sugar for decoration (optional)
Sliced pistachios for decoration (optional)
METHOD:
1 Preheat the oven to 160ºC/140ºC fan and line a 24cm springform cake tin with baking paper (enough to cover base and also 
2  In a mixing bowl, beat the eggs, sugar and vanilla together.
3 Then add the ground almonds, coconut and cinnamon and stir before adding in the butter and giving the ingredients a thorough mix.
4 Add the grated carrots, pistachios and raisins, and mix again until all ingredients are evenly incorporated, and then gently pour the mixture into your cake tin.
5 Bake for one hour.
6 Allow the cake to cool overnight before cutting it (this ensure it is much more moist).
7  Decorate with sifted icing sugar and sliced pistachios before serving.

No comments: