Welcome to my recipe collection.

These recipes offer a delicious mix of new and old world flavors. From the kitchens of my mother and grandmother in Transylvania to the new fusion mixes from my home kitchen in Canada. I have been inspired by the fickle tastes of my children ( vegetarian, pescatarian or whichever way the wind may blow) and my desire to become healthier without compromising taste. I hope you enjoy reading this as much as I have enjoyed writing it. Leave me comments and your favorite recipes!

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

CHINESE MEDICINAL CHICKEN SOUP

1 whole organic chicken (3 lb)
1 cup dried sea scalops
4 to 5 whole stems of coriander, washed
1 large knob of ginger, peeled and sliced
1/2 cup dried goji berries
1/2 cup Chinese red dates (jujubes)
1/2 cup wal san (Chinese yam) stems, soaked for 30 min in three changes of cold water
1/2 cup dried longans

Place chicken in a pot and fill with cold water until covered. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low simmer. Skim if necessary. After 30 minutes, turn stock to very low heat and add goji berries, red dates, dried scallops, longan, wai san, gingerand coriander stems. Steep for 15 to 20 minutes.
After this time, remove wai san stems and discard. Check the internal temperature of the chicken using a food thermometer in thickest part of the thight. It should read 170 to 175 F.
Once the chicken has reached this temperature, remove the bird from the pot and pull the meat from the bone (you may have to wait for it to cool a few minutes). Eat the pulled chicken together with the soup, or reserve the cooked meat for another purpose. If you like, you may add some dark leafy greens (spinach, rapini, etc.). Check seasoning and serve. Serves 4 to 6.


No comments: