Welcome to my recipe collection.

These recipes offer a delicious mix of new and old world flavors. From the kitchens of my mother and grandmother in Transylvania to the new fusion mixes from my home kitchen in Canada. I have been inspired by the fickle tastes of my children ( vegetarian, pescatarian or whichever way the wind may blow) and my desire to become healthier without compromising taste. I hope you enjoy reading this as much as I have enjoyed writing it. Leave me comments and your favorite recipes!

Friday, October 08, 2010

GRILLED CORN AND BLACK BEAN STUFFED PEPPERS


Serves 8
8 red peppers;if possible choose peppers that are stout with flattish bottoms
4 ears fresh corn, shucked
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 onion, finely diced
1 rib celery, finely diced
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp chili powder
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp oregano
3/4 cup basmati rice
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 1/2 cups crumbled feta cheese
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 tbsp red vine vinegar

Heat grill to medium -high. Grill pepper, turning occasionally, until skins are blackened but pepper still holds shape, about 10 min. Transfer to bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let stand for 10 min. Peel skin from pepper, being caraful to leave pepper intact. Set aside.

Grill corn over medium heat, turning often, until tender, about 10 min. Let cool. Cut kernels from cob and set aside.

Heat oil in saucepan over medium heat. Saute onions, celery and jalapeno until golden, about 8 min. Stir in garlic, cumin seeds, coriander, chili powder, salt and oregano. Cook for 2 min. Stir in rice, cook stirring for 2 min. Stir in 11/2 cups water and bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until rice is tender and all water is absorbed, about 8 min. Turn off heat, let pot stand on burner, covered,for 5 min. Stir in black beans, 1 cup of the feta cheese, the cilantro, vinegar and reserved corn kernels.

Cut tops from peppers and remove core and seeds. Stuff each pepper generously withrice filling. Place in baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining feta cheese. Bake in 400F (200C) oven until mixture is warmed through and cheese is golden, about 20 min.

P.S. I used raw non grilled pepper and frozen corn what I cooked in the skillet and the end product was delicious. Also I ended up with some leftover stuffing what I will use a side dish for some meat.

No comments: