Welcome to my recipe collection.

These recipes offer a delicious mix of new and old world flavors. From the kitchens of my mother and grandmother in Transylvania to the new fusion mixes from my home kitchen in Canada. I have been inspired by the fickle tastes of my children ( vegetarian, pescatarian or whichever way the wind may blow) and my desire to become healthier without compromising taste. I hope you enjoy reading this as much as I have enjoyed writing it. Leave me comments and your favorite recipes!

Wednesday, October 06, 2010

DARK CHOCOLATE TRUFFLES

(42 truffles)

3/4 cup whole blanched almonds or 1/2 cup slivered almonds
8 square (8 oz or about 225g) bittersweet or semisweet chocolate
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1/4 cup sifted icing sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup rum, or almond, orange or raspberry liqueur
icing sugar

Preheat broiler. Whirl almonds in a food processor until finely chopped but not ground. Spread on a baking sheetan and place 6 in (15cm) from broiler. Watching very carefully and shaking pan often to avoid burning, toast until lightly golden, from 2 to 3 min. Cool while continuing with recipe.
Break chocolate into small pieces and place with butter in a small saucepan set over medium-low heat. Stir until melted and smooth. Using a rubber spatula, turn into a medium-size mixing bowl. Stir in 1/4 cup icing sugar, vanilla and rum or liqueur. Then stir in almonds. Refrigerate, uncovered, until firm enough to roll, about 2 hours. Form into 1 in (2.5cm) balls and roll in icing sugar. Store tightly covered, in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.

No comments: