Welcome to my recipe collection.

These recipes offer a delicious mix of new and old world flavors. From the kitchens of my mother and grandmother in Transylvania to the new fusion mixes from my home kitchen in Canada. I have been inspired by the fickle tastes of my children ( vegetarian, pescatarian or whichever way the wind may blow) and my desire to become healthier without compromising taste. I hope you enjoy reading this as much as I have enjoyed writing it. Leave me comments and your favorite recipes!

Friday, December 03, 2010

BROWN BREAD

Deborah Langille’s recipe, Halifax

2 cup rolled oats
4 cup boiling water
4 tbs shortening
4 tbs sugar
1 cup molasses
4 tsp salt

Stir together and let stand until cool (1 hr).
Add 2 tsp sugar to 1 Cup warm water. Stirr. Add 2 tbs dry east (2pkg), let stand 10 min. Stirr down and add to bread. Add 10 cup flour ( I use 6 cup white and 4 cup whole wheat). Add 5 cup at first then 1/2 cup at a time thereafther. Knead 100 times. Cover. Let rise until double. Punch down. Divide in to 4 parts. Form in pans. Let rise. Bake at 350 F for 1 hour.

No comments: