Welcome to my recipe collection.

These recipes offer a delicious mix of new and old world flavors. From the kitchens of my mother and grandmother in Transylvania to the new fusion mixes from my home kitchen in Canada. I have been inspired by the fickle tastes of my children ( vegetarian, pescatarian or whichever way the wind may blow) and my desire to become healthier without compromising taste. I hope you enjoy reading this as much as I have enjoyed writing it. Leave me comments and your favorite recipes!

Friday, December 03, 2010

CORN BREAD

Gourmet, November 1993

1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 ½ tsp double-acting baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
2 large eggs
1 ¼ cups buttermilk
½ stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
Preheat oven to 450F. Grease a 9-inch square pan generously. In a bowl whisk together the cornmeal, the flour, the baking powder, the baking soda and the salt. In a small bowl whisk together the eggs, the buttermilk, and the butter, add the buttermilk mixture to the cornmeal mixture, and stir the batter until it is just combined. Heat the greased pan in oven for 3 to 5 minutes or until it is very hot, add the butter, spreading evenly, and bake the cornbread in the middle of the oven for 15 min, or until the top is pale golden and the sides begin to pull away from the edges of the pan. Let the corn bread cool for 5 minutes, turn it out onto a rack, and let it cool completely. Cut the cornbread into 9 squares. Makes nine 3 inch squares.

No comments: