Welcome to my recipe collection.

These recipes offer a delicious mix of new and old world flavors. From the kitchens of my mother and grandmother in Transylvania to the new fusion mixes from my home kitchen in Canada. I have been inspired by the fickle tastes of my children ( vegetarian, pescatarian or whichever way the wind may blow) and my desire to become healthier without compromising taste. I hope you enjoy reading this as much as I have enjoyed writing it. Leave me comments and your favorite recipes!

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

SUGARPLUMS

Preparation time: 20 minutes; makes : about 36 sugarplums; easy to make; very good

250 g (1 - 2/3 cups) datolya (dates)
250 g (1 - 2/3 cups) mazsola (raisins)
1/2 cup whole or 1/3 cup egesz vagy hamozott mandula (slivered blanched almonds)
1/2 cup vagott dio (chopped walnuts)
1/2 (100g) tartositott vag 1/3 cup cukrozott gyomber (container preserved or cristalized ginger)
1 narancs reszelt heja (finaly grated peel of 1 orange)
2 tbsp brandy or cognac
1/2 cup granulated sugar (kristalycukor)

In a foodprocessor whirl dates and raisins together until coarsely chopped. Turn into a large bowl then whirl nuts and ginger using a on-and-off motion, until coarsely chopped. Add to date mixture.
Using your hands, mix together until well blended. Place sugar in a shallow dish. Form fruite-and-nut mixture into tightly packed 1 in (2.5 cm ) balls.
Then roll each ball in sugar. Store in an airthight container in layers, separated by sheets of waxed papaer. Store, tightly covered, in the refrigerator. Sugarplums will keep well for several weeks. Freez for longer storage.

No comments: