Welcome to my recipe collection.

These recipes offer a delicious mix of new and old world flavors. From the kitchens of my mother and grandmother in Transylvania to the new fusion mixes from my home kitchen in Canada. I have been inspired by the fickle tastes of my children ( vegetarian, pescatarian or whichever way the wind may blow) and my desire to become healthier without compromising taste. I hope you enjoy reading this as much as I have enjoyed writing it. Leave me comments and your favorite recipes!

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

PERFECT PASTRY

from Joy of Cooking

Make sure all fats are frozen. Combine 2 1/2 cups flour, 1 tsp sugar and 1 tsp salt in processor and puls for 10 sec. Cut 1/2 cup shortening and 8 tbsp (1 stick) butter into 1/2 in (2cm) chunks and, with machine off, scatter over dry ingredients. Pulse in 1 to 2 second bursts until fat is the size of peas. With machine turned off drizzle 1/3 cup plus 1 tbsp ice cold water evenly over the top. Pulse until no dry patches remain and the dough begins to clump into small balls. Try to press dough together with fingers - if it doesn’t cohere , sprinkle 1 to 2 tbsp ice water on dough , pulse and try again. Do not let dough gather into a single mass during processing. You can use this dough immediately or else divide in two, wrap in plastic and refrigerate. Makes two nine-inch pie crust.

No comments: