Welcome to my recipe collection.

These recipes offer a delicious mix of new and old world flavors. From the kitchens of my mother and grandmother in Transylvania to the new fusion mixes from my home kitchen in Canada. I have been inspired by the fickle tastes of my children ( vegetarian, pescatarian or whichever way the wind may blow) and my desire to become healthier without compromising taste. I hope you enjoy reading this as much as I have enjoyed writing it. Leave me comments and your favorite recipes!

Sunday, December 19, 2010

CHICKEN CACCIATORE

I received an early Christmas present from a good friend familiar with my near obsession with healthy eating, and trying to lose weight; Judith Wills, Top 200 low fat recipes. This is my first dish from the book and it was a success.  The flavours of the different components blend in a colorful and unique taste we savored. My husband had two good helpings and also is taking some for lunch tomorrow.  
1 tbsp olive oil
8 skinless, boneless chicken thighs (about 800g total weight)
1 red pepper, deseeded and chopped into 1cm squares
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1 dsp sun-dried tomato paste; by a good quality sun-dried tomato paste in a jar, not the kid in tubes
200 ml dry white wine
400 g can chopped italian tomato

1 tbsp chopped fresh mixed herbes; try thyme, rosemary and oregano, or thyme, basil and parsley
salt and black pepper
16 black stoned olives
12 capers, rinsed and dried

Heat the oil in a large, lidded non-stick frying pan or flameproof casserole and brown the chicken over a high heat for a few minutes, turning occasionally. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and reserve.
Add the pepper and saute for a few minutes over a medium-high heat until softened and golden, then add the garlic and stir for another minute.
Add the tomato paste, wine, tomatoes, half the herbs and seasoning, mix everything well and return the chicken to the pan. Bring to the boil.
Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 40 minutes or until everything is tender and the chicken is cooked through. If cooking the dish in a flameproof casserole, you can oven-cook it at 180C/350 F/Gas 4, for 50 minutes, if preferred.
Stir in the remaining herbs, and the olives and capers, then serve.

Serves 4; 350 cal per portion; 15 g fat per portion.

No comments: