Welcome to my recipe collection.

These recipes offer a delicious mix of new and old world flavors. From the kitchens of my mother and grandmother in Transylvania to the new fusion mixes from my home kitchen in Canada. I have been inspired by the fickle tastes of my children ( vegetarian, pescatarian or whichever way the wind may blow) and my desire to become healthier without compromising taste. I hope you enjoy reading this as much as I have enjoyed writing it. Leave me comments and your favorite recipes!

Wednesday, December 01, 2010

CHICKEN WITH AVOCADO AND TOMATO

Sorry, not a very good picture. 
 After eating heavy food for the last few days I was looking for a light and tasty dish I can make.  As  usual first I looked in my "magic book", the  500 Low Glycemic Index Recipes by Dick Logue.  This recipe looked easy enough and also promised new flavors. The end product was a light, somewhat flavorful meal.  If you make it, do not cover the casserole; I made the mistake and I ended up with lots of juices, what I had to drain of.   
It was a good but not a favorite meal.

2 tablespoons (42g) unsalted butter, melted
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 avocado
1 cup (180g) tomatoes, chopped
1/2 cup (115g) sour cream
1/2 cup (58g) Monterey Jack cheese, shreded

Slice chicken 1/2 inch (1 cm) thick.
In large skillet, heat butter on medium-high. Add chicken slices and saute 3-5 minutes, until they start to turn brown. Preheat oven to 350 F (180C, or gas mark 4). Peel, pit, and thinly slice avocado. In medium casserole, layer chicken, avocado, and tomato. Top with sour cream. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake 30 minutes.
yield 2 servings.

Each with: 339 g water, 705 calories, 46g protein, 52g total fat, 21g saturated fat, 22g monosaturated fat, 4g polyunsaturated fat, 18g carb, 10g fibre, 1g sugar, 577mg phosphorous, 349mg calcium, 2 mg iron, 313 mg sodium, 1323mg potasium, 1527 IU vitamin A, 228 mg ATE vitamin E, 34 mg vitamin C, 166 mg   cholesterol.

No comments: